Wednesday, 16 March 2016

Dealing with Vaginal Yeast Infections

This post has been waiting quite a while actually, but I never got around to finishing it (also because I keep adding to it). So, I first came across Young Living products when my sister-in-law suddenly pulled out little bottles from her handbag when she heard that my kids were coughing and had runny noses. She taught our helpers how to apply the oils. I didn't really pay attention to Young Living then, as I wasn't the one using the oils. One day, she suddenly told me about this oil blend that would help with yeast infections. I never used to have such infections in the past, but ever since giving birth, I've been having yeast infections on a regular basis (at least once a month, which is insanely crazy!).




What are vaginal yeast infections?

Vaginal yeast infections, also known as candidiasis, are a common female condition. Yeast infections are caused by the fungus Candida. This fungus is associated with intense itching, swelling, and irritation. Once you get a yeast infection, you're more likely to get another one.

Vaginal yeast infections can be spread by sexual contact, but in general, they aren't considered a sexually transmitted infection.

More information can be found here:

Yeast infections can be treated, usually by the following...

Canesten Cream 1% Clotrimazole


This cream contains the active ingredient clotrimazole, which is an anti-fungal medicine used to treat infections with fungi and yeasts. It is used for treating skin infections caused by yeasts (e.g. Candida), dermatophytes (e.g. Trichophyton, Tinea), moulds, and other fungi.

Apply it to the affected area(s) of the skin morning and night.

The cream only relieves the external symptoms of the infection, such as the itching, inflammation, and soreness, however, it does not treat the infection inside the vagina, hence it should be used together with a thrush treatment...

Canesten Vaginal Tablet

This is like the Canesten Cream, except that they come in a pill form, and you stick it up your vagina with the applicator provided.


Remove the applicator from the packaging. Pull out the plunger until it stops. Remove the pessary from the foil blister pack, and place firmly into the applicator. Lie down with your knees bent up, and carefully insert the applicator into the vagina for as deep as you can. Slowly press the plunger until it stops so that the pessary is deposited into the vagina. Remove the applicator. Don't forget to wear a pad on your undies to avoid leakage of the dissolved tablet!


I was first introduced to the 5-Day Treatment, which was a complete pain in the butt, as I had to 'stick something up my vagina' (that just sounds SO wrong!) for five whole nights! Luckily, I later realised that they have Single-Dose ones, so you only have to do it once. What a relief, but still very annoying indeed!

My sister-in-law got this from the U.S., and she said it's really popular in the States...

Monistat Vaginal Antifungal


Again, they have different dosages, and the one I got was the 7-Day Treatment Cream. This is somewhat like the Canesten Pessary, except in cream form, and the cream actually reaches those 'hard-to-reach' places better than the pessary. The cream can also be used to apply on external areas.

Sometimes, none of these work, and that leads me to visit the doctor for a second time, which again, is very annoying! Since then, I've been trying many different ways to help prevent getting yeast infections instead, and for one, I started with yoghurt. I love yoghurt, except for the fact that I'm slightly lactose intolerant nowadays, and that it's too cold for me to eat it especially during the cold winter months.

So, this is the product that my sister-in-law recommended to me...

Young Living Protec Men's Balancing Blend



The italicised text is copied from the Young Living website:

Protec is a balancing blend of natural ingredients that supports hygiene for men and women. This formula is enhanced with Frankincense, Myrrh, Sage, and Cumin essential oils.

Ingredients:
Vitis vinifera (grape) seed oil, boswellia carterii† oil, commiphora myrrha† oil, salvia officinalis† (sage) oil, cuminum cyminum† (cumin) seed oil, triticum vulgare (wheat) germ oil, prunus amygdalus dulcis (sweet almond) oil, and olea europaea‡ (olive) fruit oil.

Young Living Therapeutic Grade™ essential oil
‡ Organically grown in accordance with the California Organic Foods Act of 1990

The odd thing about this product is its name - why on Earth is its name "Men's Balancing Blend" when it's not just for men?! Luckily, in its description on the Young Living website, the blend can actually be used on men AND women.

My sister-in-law gave me a decant of the oil to try, and I have been using it religiously since. I usually pour some onto a cotton pad, and then wipe it onto the affected area, so that my hands are not covered in oil, as the oil has quite of an unpleasant smell (don't worry, others cannot smell it). When used on a regular basis (I use it every night before I go to bed), it can help maintain the balance, PROVIDED I DO THE FOLLOWING...

1. Use my own tissue when using public toilets

Recently, I noticed that whenever I use the toilet paper in public toilets, I would instantly end up having a vaginal infection. Things have improved ever since I started using my own packet of tissues, though sometimes when I run out (or am too lazy to get my own), I will end up with another yeast infection! Some people have suggested to rip off a few squares of the toilet paper before using it (rip off the pieces of toilet paper that the previous person has touched), and although it helps sometimes, it's not a guarantee that I will not get infected.

2. Wash my own undies by hand, instead of in the washing machine
I normally clean my undies while I'm in the shower, and I use a natural laundry liquid that contains eucalyptus. I poured some of the laundry liquid into a foaming bottle, so when I pump it, foam comes out. This ensures that I don't use a lot, and it also makes it easier to wash with.
The best way to prevent having yeast infections is to actually boil (on a stove) your undies in a pot of hot water. Boiling them is the only way to really kill the bad stuff that is left on your undies!



3. Wash down there with a non-scented feminine wash - I've used this one for a long time, and once, when it was out of stock both at my home and at the stores, I went nuts! I was so desperate for a product to relieve itchiness, that I purchased the Niaouly Cream. The Niaouly Cream can be used for pimples too, and does help to relieve minor irritations.


 


When I have a yeast infection, I will do the following...

I use menstrual pads that contain herbs and are made in Korea by Yejimiin - they're said to help minimise PMS cramps, and eliminate bad odours. They come in different sizes, and they all have a herbal scent. I've stocked up on them, and I don't think I'll be running out anytime soon!


Before I sleep at night, I will squirt 2-3mL of Protec with a syringe into my vagina, and let it swish around inside while I sleep. I will put a pad (yes, my Yejimiin pad!) on my undies, so that the oil doesn't leak onto my undies. <- This doesn't help relieve the symptoms anymore, but I do use Protec as general maintenance nowadays.

Note: The plastic syringe that I normally use with Protec suddenly "broke", but in a very odd way. I suspect that the essential oils that Protec contained were too strong, and damaged the syringe. I also found that the syringe was also very hard to clean, so the residues may have absorbed into the plastic already.

I purchased a douche bottle recently, and douched with Protec, and it seemed to relieve some itchiness, but I've read that it's bad to douche as it gets rid of the good bacteria inside, so I probably won't be doing it very often.

As Protec is U.S. stock, I have stocked up on a few bottles already, just in case they run out of stock, or I cannot order them in time.



Recently, I've been fighting yeast infection again, but this time, I decided to experiment with my own essential oils to find a more natural relief. The oils I started off with were Purification, Tea Tree, Thyme, Lavender, and Bergamot. I added a few drops of each onto a cotton pad, and wiped it across my vulva, 2 times a day. It stung, but it was bearable.



 I soon realised that just Purification and Tea Tree would do the job, so I only applied the two oils afterwards (I use them 2-3 times a day). Purification deodorises, whereas Tea Tree acts as an anti-fungal against yeast.


I also added 1-2 drops of Thieves into a bottle of water to drink on a daily basis. Thieves is a blend of clove, rosemary, eucalyptus radiata, cinnamon, and lemon, and is used to support a healthy immune system.



I am proud to say that I have finally found natural relief for the itchiness and swelling, as well as minimising the smelly and cotton cheese-like discharge! If everything failed, I was planning to create coconut oil sticks mixed with essential oils to insert into the vagina, but it seems like just the Purification and Tea Tree oils were enough this time.

I've also noticed that adding a few drops of Lavender Essential Oil to your undies will help relieve itchiness. I was in hospital for a week and I didn't have access to clean undies everyday (I thought I could be discharged soon, so I never thought to have so many things taken to hospital with me), and in the meanwhile, I added drops of Lavender EO to my undies, and surprisingly, I didn't feel itchy there at all! Amazing!

If you wish to order any Young Living essential oils, you can get them here
If you have any questions or need help enrolling/setting up your account, please e-mail me at geniesfavproducts@gmail.com

This information provided here is for educational and informational purposes only, and to motivate you to make your own health care and dietary decisions based upon your own research and in partnership with your health care provider. It should not be relied upon to determine dietary changes, a medical diagnosis or courses of treatment. Individual articles and information on other websites are based upon the opinions of the respective authors who retain copyright as marked.

The information contained on this website is not meant to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. The information represents what I, an Independent Distributor of Young Living Essential Oils, have chosen to do to take charge of my own personal health and that of my family. Statements on this website have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. Products on this site are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease. If you are pregnant, nursing, taking medication, or have a medical condition, consult your physician before using these products.


That's probably enough for today. Thank you for reading, and have a nice day!

No comments:

Post a Comment