Milk is very nutritious especially for pregnant women, and although nut milks aren't even half as nutritious as cow's milk, nut milks do make a good substitute for smoothies!
Due to the small size of my blender, I made slight amendments to the recipe I saw online. My blender is only able to contain 2 cups of water each time, so I had to halve the ingredients and do the blending process twice.
1 cup of raw walnuts
1 container with a lid
4 cups filtered water
1 teaspoon of vanilla essence
1 nut milk bag or soup bag
1 teaspoon of sweetener or honey (optional)
1 sprinkle of cinnamon (optional)
1. Soak raw walnuts in filtered water for 8-10 hours, or just overnight in a container with a lid. If you want to soak the walnuts for longer, you need to drain the walnuts and change the water every 8-10 hours. Make sure there is at least 1 inch of water covering the walnuts.
2. After 8-10 hours of soaking, drain and rinse the soaked walnuts.
3. Place the walnuts in a blender, adding in the 4 cups of filtered water. Also add in the vanilla essence and sweetener of your choice. I also sprinkled in some cinnamon.
4. Blend all of the ingredients on high for 90 seconds. If your blender does not have speed options, blend for 120 seconds.
5. When you have finished blending, leave the milk to set for 5 minutes, so that the foam can float to the top.
6. Scoop out the foam from the top of the nut milk (sorry I forgot to take a photo of the foam).
7. Place the nut milk bag into a jar, and pour liquid into the nut milk bag, making sure you squeeze all the pulp to get all the milk. Make sure your jar has a lid!
8. Save the pulp to use in other dishes, such as hummus or fudge.
9. Voila! You have your walnut milk! You can adjust how much water you add depending on how thick you like your milk to be, and you can also try this with some other of your favourite nuts too!! You can keep your nut milk for up to 5 days in the fridge!!
Remember to give your bottle a shake before using the nut milk!!
I just used my homemade walnut milk to go with my avocado!! *yummy*
Thank you for reading, and if you have any questions, please comment below! Have a nice day!!!