Drinking eight glasses of water can be quite difficult, especially when you don't like the taste of plain water! A solution to this is by trying these Fruit Infused Water Drinks, a healthy alternative to sweetened drinks.
Since posting this pic onto my Facebook and Instagram, a few people have asked me how to make these drinks, so I have decided to blog on it today.
Since being pregnant, I've found it very hard to keep water down, as the bland taste of water makes me nauseas, so I've been looking for ways to change this. I remember drinking the h2go kiwifruit + a splash of strawberry flavoured water back in New Zealand, so I decided to make a natural version of them.
There are many recipes on the Internet, but I usually just use the things I have at home...today it's Strawberries and Lime. I usually use the big strawberries, but today I have the small strawberries from Korea.
I'm going to use my 350mL bottle, but I usually refill it at least once, so I do add quite a lot of strawberries compared to other recipes.
- 6 x strawberries (3 strawberries if they are big in size)
- 1 x key lime
- 1 x water bottle
- drinking water
1. Wash the fruits and cut the stems off your strawberries. Leave your strawberries in salted water for 1 minute before rinsing with cooled boiled water.
2. Slice the strawberries into at least 4 slices per strawberry, and halve the lime. I prefer to take the seeds out of the key lime before putting them into my drink.
3. Put the fruits into your bottle. I put in half of the lime, but squeezed juice from the other half into my bottle.
4. Fill your bottle with cooled boiling water or any filtered water.
5. Let the bottle sit in the fridge for 2-8 hours (depending on how strong you want the flavour to be).
6. After 2 hours, I took out the lime from my bottle, but let the bottle continue to sit in the fridge. I didn't want my drink to be too sour.
7. Before serving, you can use a fork to mash the fruits inside, or you can just shake your bottle a little to mix the flavours together.
You can add any of your favourite fruits (anything except bananas), veggies, and herbs into your drink. Be creative!
I have also tried strawberries & blueberries. strawberries & orange, strawberries & kiwifruit. I find that strawberries give the most pleasant taste, but I don't recommend using blueberries unless they're cheap around where you live, because they're rather expensive in Hong Kong, but the taste is not very strong when being infused in water. If you use cold water to infuse your water, and do not soak it for too long, you can even eat the fruits you used to infuse in your drink!!
|My strawberry and blueberry infused tea :)|
|My strawberry and orange infused water :)|
Tips & Other Suggestions:
If you're adding blueberries or any fruit that has skin around it, then you need to cut the fruit up so the juice can infuse into your drink.
Instead of adding water to your drink, you can add ice or soda instead, and if you don't want to be drinking something too cold, you can just leave the bottle in room temperature for a few hours too. Just do whatever suits you!
If you find that your drink is too sour for your liking, you can also add a teaspoon of honey into your drink!! <-- personal experience
You could also puree your ingredients and then use a sieve to strain the pulp, dilute with water, and sip with a straw.
Fruit Infused Tea
You can also make Fruit Infused Teas by boiling the fruits together in water for a few minutes, or just by adding hot boiling water into the fruit and letting it to simmer for a few minutes before taking the fruits out.
You can also try these combinations:
- Cucumber & Fresh Mint
- Apple & Cinnamon Sticks
- Blueberry & Strawberry
- Orange, Cucumber, Lime & Lemon
- Lemon, Cucumber, Fresh Mint, & Fresh Strawberry
- Frozen Grapes, Frozen Strawberries, & Fresh Mint
- Watermelon, Pineapple, & Apple
- Honey Dew, Cantaloupe, & Watermelon
- Peach, Honey Dew, & Cantaloupe
- Watermelon & Peach
- Strawberry & Fresh Mint
- Fresh Mint, Fresh Lavender, & Lemon
- Peach, Strawberry, & Raspberry/Blackberry
- Kiwi, Raspberry, & Peach
- Strawberry & Orange
For more information, you can check out the following sites:
Hope you enjoyed reading, and be creative with your drinks!!!